Positive Outcome 1: The Engagement and Independence in Dementia Questionnaire (EID-Q)

The Engagement and Independence in Dementia Questionnaire (EID-Q)

The EID-Q is a 26-item measure of social independence developed by researchers at University College London (UCL) and the University of Nottingham. It was developed from 2014 - 2017 using both qualitative and quantitative methods. People living with dementia and experts were involved at every stage of the development procedure and the measure was published in Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders in 2018.

The measure consists of five subscales, all identified as important factors for wellbeing by people living with dementia: Activities of Daily Living, Decision Making, Activity Engagement, Support and Reciprocity. 

In a research project with 225 people living with dementia across the United Kingdom (UK), the EID-Q had excellent internal consistency (α = 0.921) and was moderately stable over a one-week period (ICC = 0.768). Further the measure was positively correlated with existing measures of quality of life and depression, suggesting that concepts in the EID-Q have significant implications for wellbeing in dementia. 

Example items

I can do activities that are important to me

I can make my own decisions as much as I'd like to

There are people I could ask for help if I need to

I can confide in my friends/ family

I have help the people I care about


Obtaining a copy of the EID-Q

The EID-Q is free to use but we ask that you cite it appropriately in any talks or in academic journals. Further, the measure should only be used with people with dementia and it should not be proxy rated (i.e. completed by a carer or healthcare professional on behalf of someone living with dementia). To obtain a copy and scoring information, please email the corresponding author Charlotte R. Stoner with your request. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Positive Outcome 2: The Positive Psychology Outcome Measure (PPOM)